World Football

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Colin Suffers a Concussion.

The latest from the Colin Vint experience....



some bad luck...
It has been a while since my last update. The week after our match against St. Patrick's, we were originally slated to play Dublin City, but with their bankruptcy and subsequent removal from existence in the league, we were without a fixture for the weekend. In lieu of training we had the night off and we out on the town together, a team building function of sorts. We trained on Sunday, and then on Monday we played host to the Glenmore Celtic of Dublin in a friendly match. They play in the Dublin City League, which isn't part of the FAI premier or first division table, but we knew they would relish the chance to upset a premier league team, especially one so close on the map. We jumped out to an early lead on a goal from new signing Chris Dean's (the former Waterford centre back captain), the first since I have been here, but Glenmore quickly capitalized on a string of defensive errors and leveled the score at one all. We clearly had the better part of the possession, but we blew chance after chance on misguided shots and selfish play. In all I think 7 or 8 legitimate opportunities were wasted in the first half because of a missed shot or someone chosing to go solo instead of serving the ball to an open player. I think since it has been so long since we have had a good half like this, with successful combinations and keeping the ball more on the turf than in the air, we let it get to our heads and each wanted to impress instead of worrying about tying a team that isn't on our level. In the second half we came out gunning and were able to net another 2 goals in the first 15 minutes, and while I didn't score I finally helped set up a goal. On our third of the evening, I flicked a bouncing ball on to Robbie Doyle, who on his first touch slotted Franco through for a 1v1 opportunity with the keeper, which he tucked away after an effective stepover. Cramping got the better of me again in the 60th minute, although I wasn't tired like in my St. Pat's fiasco, and I came off after 65. The match finished with that 3-1 scoreline, and we garnered some much needed confidence after having only taken 1 point from the fixtures in the month of July. Friday (Aug 4th) saw us matched up against Derry City who sit top of the table, not to mention having what is nationally regarded as the loudest and most loyal fans. We had a good crowd out on the cool night, but it seemed a little less like a home match and more like an away contest in Bray because of the noise coming from the Derry fans. While our fans outnumbered theirs, the rhythm coming from their huge drums and chants was deafening to the point that it was almost impossible to communicate on the field without yelling at full tilt. Derry, one of the few full time clubs (we only train a few times a week, Derry train every day) had a much higher level of fitness, which showed, and they netted goal after goal. Before we knew it, it was 3-0 in their favor. Granted, we were playing much better football than we have been in recent matches, each of their goals was the result of capitalizing on a defensive error, and our tempers began to get the better of us as the shouting began; none of us could hear the others over the Derry drums, but it couldn't have been anything other than harsh words. In the dying minutes of the first half I tracked the centre back into the box on a defensive corner, and as I rose to head a ball clear I felt a baseball bat hit me in the side of the face, a strike which levelled me. I didn't see it, but apparently I won the header and the Derry player headed me just a second later. I tried to get up immediately but couldn't, and after the trainer helped me to my feet and walked me to the sideline, I re-entered. This was a mistake, as I couldn't feel the left half of my mouth, teeth included, and I was having double vision from my left eye. It didn't serve me well to see two balls in the air, or to have such an immense pressure on my face and eye, and I quickly asked Tony to pull me off. After a quick assessment in the back of the ambulance I was told I had a concussion, but the doctor told me I needed to have my face x-rayed as there was a chance I had done damage to my eye socket. My wait in the ER was miserable, as the bright lights induced a painful feeling of nausea, and 3 hours later I was finally seen and x-rayed. As was suspected, I had slightly fractured my cheekbone, an important part of the eye socket, so I was prescribed some light painkillers and was told that I would have to go to the maxillofacial unit at
St.James's Hospital in Dublin the following Tuesday. This morning I arose early and headed into town for my appointment, and after another wait I was finally seen. I was told basically the same thing by this doctor, but after pushing on both cheeks and testing the bones he said I would have to return on Friday after the swelling has subsided in order to see if there were any depressions left on my face. The fracture isn't that bad and should heal quickly, but if there is any sort of difference in my face after the swelling is gone then there is a good chance I will need to undergo a procedure to fix that. I know I will be missing the match on Friday against Bohemians anyway, another top notch squad, but I am more focused on my injury, and praying that there is no significant issues aside from waiting for the fracture to mend itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home